Thursday, July 17, 2014

Kale Pizza


Having lactose intolerance and tomato allergies, I could not eat pizza often, so when I did eat pizza I only wanted the best.


Born and raised in Chicago, I have a penchant for Chicago style pizza. Deep dish stuffed spinach pizza is my favorite.





I found these Camillo's stone fired pizza crusts at Big Lots for only $2.50 (two in a package) so I decided to give them a try. Cholesterol free, 0 grams transfat, and they're made with honey. Not gluten free however.


I tried them and I love them. They're tasty and easy to prepare. First preheat the oven to 450 degrees. The pizza will bake at 400°, but you don't want fluctuations in heat during baking. Brush the pizza crust with olive oil.



Top with desired ingredients. Some of my favorite toppings are:

  • Nutritional Yeast: This is a must. It tastes like Parmesan cheese and it gives the pizza lots of flavor. I generously sprinkle it on the crust before the other toppings.
  • Kale: Lacinato (AKA Italian or dinosaur) is good because it's Italian and it tears easily into strips. I love kale pizza just as much with traditional curly kale. Kale tends to dry out when baking so you may want to toss or brush it with olive oil.
  • Peppers: Bell peppers are all great - green, red, yellow, orange - use whatever combo you like.
  • Mushrooms
  • Basil: I grow my own basil and I put a few leaves right on the pizza. I use the larger leaves because it also helps my plants stay healthy by removing those large energy zappers.
  • Black olives. I love them and they're great on pizza.
  • Onion. White onion, yellow onion, or red onion are all delicious. When I don't add onion I sprinkle the pizza with onion powder.


Other possible toppings are tomato, broccoli, cheese (imitation or real depending on your diet needs/preferences). Really I say try whatever you like and see what works.



Top with seasonings
  • Italian Seasoning (oregano, rosemary, basil, thyme, marjoram)
  • Garlic. It is pizza after all.
  • Onion powder (use especially if not topping pizza with fresh onion)
  • Nutritional Yeast: Yes, I already said this, but I put it on the pizza both before and after the other toppings. 
  • Salt. I find I really don't need much (if any salt). The yeast & other seasonings bring plenty of flavor.


Bake in the oven at 400° for 7-10 minutes. The crust package recommends 425°, but kale tends to dry out quickly. When I make kale chips I bake them at 400° for ten minutes, so 400° seems to be perfect. The package also says to put the crust directly on the oven rack, but I've never been good at doing that. It seems... unsanitary. Even if I scrub the rack clean first, I have to use oven mitts to get the pizza out. I put the pizza on foil. Since the crusts are square I haven't found a sheet pan that fits the crust well. I tried a pizza stone, but my pizza burned up. The crusts are already stone fired, so cooking on a pizza stone is overkill.


Check the pizza often (without letting all the heat out the oven). It really does cook quickly. Within 10 minutes you should have a very crispy ready to eat pizza. If it doesn't seem done yet, consider turning off the oven and letting the pizza remain inside for just a little longer.

Now that I've discovered a delicious pizza that has no dairy or tomato, I eat it fairly often. It's very thin and crispy, but tasty and healthy. It's not Chicago Style pizza, but it is good. It's very affordable and easy to make. A great meal idea in a pinch; and a good alternative to frozen pizza or delivery pizzas loaded with fat and grease. 

Everyone I've served it to has been pleasantly surprised by it. Kale pizza is not something most people think about, but in my opinion they should. I love to experiment with different toppings and so far it's all been good. Find what works for you and enjoy your kale pizza!


RECIPE
1. Preheat oven to 450°
2. Brush stone fired pizza crust generously with extra virgin olive oil.
3. Sprinkle pizza crust generously with nutritional yeast.
4. Tear kale into strips/smaller pieces and top pizza crust. To prevent drying out brush or toss kale with olive oil.
5. Top pizza with desired ingredients.
6. Sprinkle pizza with desired seasonings (Italian, garlic, salt)
7. Lower oven temperature to 400°.
8. Bake pizza on rack, foil, or pan for about 10 minutes.
9. Remove from oven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback.