Sunday, March 29, 2015

Healthier Comfort Food - Silky Organic Mac & Cheese

I came home late after attending the Saturday night service at church. There was heavy traffic (not unusual in Houston) so it delayed me quite a bit. I was tired and hungry. I did enjoy a healthy salad — complete with Russian Kale, Green Chard, black olives and more, but I wanted something warm and comforting.

I had a couple of boxes of Whole Foods 365 brand macaroni and cheese in the cabinet I'd purchased on sale so why not? I chose the 365 Organic Shells and White Cheddar Cheese over the regular mac and cheese. Great choice. The shells and cheese were voted best macaroni and cheese by Epicurious.com.

I followed the package instructions (boil pasta, drain, add prepared powder and milk), except I used Silk Cashew milk and I added a couple of tablespoons of nutritional yeast for both flavor and nutrition. The cashew milk needed to be used soon and I saved it because I thought it would go well with mac and cheese. I was right.

Oh my goodness it was so delicious I don't even have a picture of the finished product to show you. I ate it all up. I think the Silk Cashew milk made it even creamier, as that's part of their claim to fame. I will definitely be making this again, and next time I'll try to pause long enough to take a picture for you.

Check out the links below if you want nutritional information on the products.

Shells & Cheese

Silk Creamy Cashew Milk

Nutritional Yeast

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback.